thefrozensea

The Frozen Sea

Books to the ceiling, books to the sky, my pile of books is a mile high. How I love them! How I need them! I'll have a long beard by the time I read them!

The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M Harris

I really enjoyed the Gospel of Loki. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting when I started this book - I loved Joanne M. Harris' Chocolat books, but I guess I thought the prose would be similar in nature, with a kind of dreamy, mystical feel.

This book was nothing like that.

Basically, it was a first-person retelling of Norse mythology, revolving around Loki and his point of view. Therefore, we only see what Loki was present for, or what had been told to him by Odin or the other gods. The prose is rather matter-of-fact, despite the fantastic nature of the events that occur, and the story stays true to the original mythology. Joanne M. Harris doesn't really stray at all from those original stories you may already be familiar with, so don't expect any artistic liberty to be taken.

I've always had a fascination with Norse mythology and the Vikings in particular, so this book was right up my alley. I enjoyed each adventure and felt angry at the way Loki was treated by the Aesir, despite the fact that he was often the instigator. He was definitely likeable, and I enjoyed his voice.