thefrozensea

The Frozen Sea

Books to the ceiling, books to the sky, my pile of books is a mile high. How I love them! How I need them! I'll have a long beard by the time I read them!

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Enthralling, disturbing, and pretty relatable, I had a hard time putting this book down.

Set about 20 years after an epidemic has wiped nearly all of humanity from the planet, Kirsten and her travelling symphony wander what used to be the mid-west of the United States, putting on Shakespearean plays and classical concerts for the small groups of people they encounter on the way.

The book goes back and forth between the final few weeks of civilisation and the present, connecting characters from the past with those in the present through a comic book beloved by the main character. I found the people in this book really relatable, their fear palpable, and their actions justifiable. I have to admit that I didn't see the twist until about two-thirds of the way into the novel but it really makes an odd kind of sense.

I also rather enjoyed the tiny splash of hope at the end. What's a dystopian novel if it doesn't end with a little bit of hope for a better future?