thefrozensea

The Frozen Sea

Books to the ceiling, books to the sky, my pile of books is a mile high. How I love them! How I need them! I'll have a long beard by the time I read them!

Among Others by Jo Walton

What can I say about this book, other than that I loved it? It kept me enthralled - I read it in about 3 or 4 hours. It was original, and written in wonderfully honest diary-style prose that I thought only Sonya Hartnett was capable of.

The magic and the creatures of this world are so hard to define that often you wonder if they're actually real, or if Mori just has a really impressive imagination. At the same time, they remind me so much of the creatures in Neil Gaiman's THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE, or some kind of Germanic myth. There's even a line about roads travelled only by children that adults miss that reminded me strongly of Neil. It's a brilliant coming of age story, magical and also quite bleak in places, just like a proper fairytale.

I read books like this and it's like childhood all over again. I don't want it to end, and when it does, I want to do it all over again. Read it and tell me that you don't feel the same way.