thefrozensea

The Frozen Sea

Books to the ceiling, books to the sky, my pile of books is a mile high. How I love them! How I need them! I'll have a long beard by the time I read them!

Beautiful Wreck by Larissa Brown

I was pleasantly surprised multiple times by this time travel novel. The initial surprise comes from the time period the heroine Ginn comes from - a bleak future in the 22nd century based on virtual reality, where citizens escape the drudgery of their lives in their favourite moments of history. The world no longer makes it's own history, but simply mimics and revisits what's come before, and this struck me as a rather grim future. Ginn herself has long since realised this, but she can't help but be drawn to the Viking era. Something goes wrong with her virtual reality, however, and she finds herself stuck on a farm in Viking-Era Iceland.

It's here that we meet Heirik, Chief of this particular village, who is feared and ostracized because of a birth mark across his face. He's untouchable, withdrawn, and alone. Something Ginn can relate to, both in her current 10th century setting, and in her own future.

The romance that developed between these two was sweet and well done, but also aggravating at times. The will-they-won't-they push and pull got rather frustrating after a while. I also thought the time travel aspect wasn't explained very well - there are time travel novels that leave this a mystery and do it well, but this one gave a confusing explanation that wasn't very satisfying